All accidents or incidents involving University vehicles/drivers and University business rentals must be reported. Save this Vehicle Accident Report Form to your computer first, then complete it with photos of both damaged vehicles, and submit/email it within 24-48 hours to:

  1. Willis Towers Watson,  
  2. ​Office of Risk Management, email to
  3. Department Supervisor
  4. and the responsible department for managing repairs, usually Fleet Services,

Note: Athletics WOS Dealership vehicles, UPPD Motorcycles, and Regional Campuses may have another contact for managing vehicle repairs.


  • Contact University of Pittsburgh Police or Regional Campus Security when accidents occur on or near campus at the time of the accident. In the event an accident involves injury or death of any person, or damage to any vehicle where it cannot be driven, immediately contact the nearest Police Department.
  • If you are involved in an automobile accident while using a rented vehicle, you also must immediately report the accident to the rental agency from which the vehicle was rented in addition to the aforementioned process. 
  • Use of personal vehicles are discouraged by University policy, and the driver’s personal insurance is primary.


Employees with Automobile claims may be required to take additional Driver Safety training.

This session can be accessed through EduRisk’s Learning Portal.

At the site, scroll down to register and follow the appropriate prompts concerning obtaining a password.

Once you have successfully logged into the site, there are several trainings offered, which are listed in alphabetical order. Tab to the right to find the Driver Safety session.

This training course takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. It shares tips for proper preparation, good driving habits, and eliminating distractions. There is an examination at the end of the course, which requires that at least 80% response accuracy to pass.  

Frequently Asked Questions - Automobile

If I use my personal vehicle for University business, does the University provide any insurance if my vehicle is damaged?

Use of personal vehicles for University business is strongly discouraged because the University's automobile insurance program does not provide physical damage (collision or comprehensive) coverage for any damage sustained to an employees' personal vehicle. The employee is also responsible for any deductible and premium increase as a result of any accident.

When using a personal vehicle on University business, the owner of the vehicle must carry automobile liability insurance. The owner's automobile liability insurance coverage is primary coverage. The University's automobile liability insurance policy provides excess coverage only.

Please refer to University Policy 05-07-01 for additional information and clarification.

What are the University's guidelines on cell phone use while driving?

Please refer to this page for important mobile device guidelines while operating University owned or leased vehicles.

Where can I find more information on how to handle vehicle claims?

Please refer to this page for more information on vehicle claims.